This is the first blog post I have written for a while as I wanted to take a break until I felt inspired to write another one!
The many clients I have been working with over that last few months have inspired this reflection on the area of career management and the many different challenges people face at any age and at any stage of their career.
These are some of the thoughts or questions people are having or asking themselves and indeed some I have asked myself over my career
- Why am I not enjoying my job anymore?
- I don’t get on with my boss very well is that a good reason to leave?
- I have been in the same role/company for a few years should I stay or should I move?
- I don’t feel appreciated anymore – am I valued?
- I don’t get any feedback at all and other people seem to be getting more opportunities to progress than I am
- I haven’t got a development plan or any real objectives
- I need a change
- What I really want to do is work for myself
- I need to get back into the world of work after a career break where do I start?
- When is a good time to retire and then what do I do?
- I want to do something different but unsure if I should look for another job in the same company or look at different companies
- Should I get more qualifications?
- I am having a tough time at work at the moment but is this just temporary or should I start looking for something else?
- If I eventually want to work for myself should I just be brave and make it happen or shall I set up a “side hussle” while I am still in work?
- I like what I do but I am not inspired by the industry or the company I am working for
- My work life balance is out of control can I improve my situation in my current role or do I need to change?
Just reading through the list above how many of these have gone through your mind over that last few years? Is there one particular one that resonates currently?
What I am going to do over the next few blog posts is look deeper into a few of the areas and from a coaches perspective illustrate the type of work and further questions you can ask yourself to determine the next steps or possible options you can consider taking to explore further the correct course of action for your personal career management.
Sandra works as an executive coach for businesses and also has a private coaching practice for career/life and business coaching. More information can be found at http://www.sandrawebbercoaching.com. She is also author of Own It – regain control and live life on your terms available from Amazon Check book out here and a recently launched series of Own It Podcasts which gives inspiration and tips for professional and personal life Own It Podcasts