As we are still at the start of the year it’s a good time to take some time out to review career health alongside any lifestyle or well being audit you may have already done.
In my work as a career and performance coach my discussions with clients often centre around how they can either
- Change careers
- Get more enjoyment out of their work
- Get better at their work
- Minimise the amount of stress they are experiencing at work
- Hand some difficult characters at work
- Raise their profile at work
- Progress to the next level in their company, industry etc
- Be brave and make some drastic changes e.g. like number 1 above or setting up their own business
The people who I love to meet are those people who really love what they do in both life and work. As most people spend a large percentage of the week at work its important that if there is something not quite working right in this aspect of our life that you first identify it and then put in place some actions to make improvements
So, in this first month of the year ask yourself the following questions?
- Looking back at 2017 how happy am I with my work out of 10 (1- not happy at all, hate it to 10 – happy and enjoy it a lot)
- Which bits of your working life do you love? Make sure you keep doing this.
- Which bits are you unhappy with – what action can you take?
- Do you feel you are using your full potential at work? If not, which skills are you not using? How can you plan to utilise these more?
- Did you undertake any training or development work for yourself in 2017? Have you got anything else planned for this year? Often leaders spend so much time developing their team they forget about themselves.
- Do you have clear goals or areas of focus for 2018? If not identify at least one
- How is your work/life balance and stress levels – any work needed here in 2018 – what small habits can you change.
Take an hour out this month and conduct a mini career health check on yourself, pick a couple of actions and then repeat the process half way through the year.
Sandra works as a coach for Businesses and Private Clients. More information can be found at http://www.sandrawebbercoaching.com. She is also author of the self development book Own It available from Amazon http://amzn.to/2m3l8Vl